- Complete a PS-1 (Application)
- Secure a surety bond, irrevocable letter of credit or errors & omissions insurance in the minimum amount of $5000 with your name listed as principal.
- Complete at least one (1) fingerprint card in a tamper proof bag along with the fingerprint affidavit form (PS-4)
- Complete three (3) professional letters of reference. References cannot be related to you by blood or marriage.
- Submit proof of 1500 hours (via resume) of professional work experience if applying for a private investigators license. No proof of experience required if applying for a provisional investigators license. (Some educational substitution may apply.)
- Complete two (2) passport quality photographs. (Photos are to be submitted electronically firstname.lastname@example.org. *Digital photo must meet certian criteria, see below for explaination. No copies or laser printer copies will be accepted.)
- Review the list of criminal disqualifiers. (This list is available on our websitehttp://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/PS/forms.shtml under the ‘criminal disqualifier’ tab.
- Submit a one-time $79 application fee and the required $550 licensing fee (VISA/MC, cashier’s check, money order, or business check. No personal checks or cash please.)
- Once your completed application packet is processed you will be registered to take the PI Proficiency Exam. Please review our training calendar for class availability. http://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/PS/docs/PSManagerInstClassSchedule.pdf
*Criteria for electronically submittal: Jpeg format (.jpg), minimum 640×480 resolution, cropped for head shot, solid colored background, photo date must be within the last six months, sent from an email address on file at DPSST (or) if new applicant, sent from email address listed on application or submitted on a CD with paper documents and driver’s license quality professional photograph.
**The initial application process and criminal background check typically takes 4-8 weeks.**
This information was obtained from http://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/PS/howtoapplypi.shtml