In Utah the licensing process is governed by the Bureau of Criminal Identification.
You may apply for a private investigator license if you are:
- At least 21 years of age,
- A legal resident of Utah, and
- Of good moral character.
Answer all questions in the Application for Private Investigator License by typing or clearly printing in ink. Attach all documentation required. The application must be signed and notarized.
An application fee of $230.25 for an agency license. This fee will license one private investigation agency and the owner or primary investigator of that agency.
An application of $130.25 for a registrant or apprentice license.
In addition to the application fee, a non-refundable FBI fee of $30.25 per applicant must be submitted with each application.
SURETY BOND INFORMATION FOR REGISTRANT OR APPRENTICE APPLICATIONS (According to the BCI)
A surety bond in the amount of $10,000 is required for each registrant or apprentice application. The bond should reference Section 53-9-110, and must remain in force throughout the license period. Please attach a copy of the bond.
LIABILITY INSURANCE INFORMATION FOR AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Liability Insurance in at least the amount of $500,000 is required for each agency application. The insurance must comply with the requirements in Utah Code Ann. §53-9-109(2) and (3). Please attach proof of the insurance. Also attach a certificate of workers’ compensation, is applicable.
DOCUMENTATION OF YOUR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- The applicant must have at least 10,000 hours of investigative experience. Attach copies of the “Verification of Investigative Experience” form to show your hours worked.
- Include a certificate of workers’ compensation insurance.
- Registrant License
- The applicant must have at least 2,000 hours of investigative experience. Attach copies of the “Verification of Investigative Experience” form to show your hours worked.
An apprentice must work for a licensed private investigation agency.
Print or type on forms to ensure it is legible.
- Once the Bureau receives your application, a background investigation will be conducted.
- The application will then be reviewed by the Private Investigator Hearing and Licensure Board for recommendation of issuance.
- Please allow 90 days for processing your completed application. Do not call the Bureau regarding the status of your application unless you have not received notification within this time frame.
- For more information, you may also call Bureau of Criminal Identification at 801-965-4445.
Where to apply
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84129