• 18 years of age or older.
• United States citizen or legal permanent U.S. resident.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Honorably discharged from any branch of the United States military service.
• FBI and Montana Dept. of Justice criminal fingerprint background check.
• Full-face passport-type photograph of head and shoulders.
• Completed application form, supporting documentation, and appropriate fees.
$150.00 Application Fee
**Make check or money order payable to the Montana Board of Private Security**
Affix a photo to page of application as indicated. The photo must be full-face passport type of
head and shoulders with applicant’s signature in below.
Submit the following documents to the Board office in order to complete your license application.
All documents must be copied to a standard page size of 8 ½” x 11”. All documents not in
English must be accompanied by certified translations.
• Completed application and attached photograph.
• Copy of driver’s license or birth certificate for proof of age.
• Copy of birth certificate, United States passport or Immigration green card for proof of
citizenship or permanent legal residency.
• Completed verification of licensure form, if you hold or have held professional/occupational
licenses in another state.
• Completed Character Reference form.
• Completed Private Investigator Trainee Supervisory Agreement.
• Copy of DD214, if you have served in any branch of the United States Armed Forces.
• Copy of high school diploma or equivalency.
• Staff will notify applicants in writing if the applicant is required to submit additional
information. Once the application is complete, staff will process and issue licenses. Please
allow 30 days processing from the date that the Board has a complete, routine application.
• An application will be considered as a non-routine application if the Criminal History Record
Information returns a criminal history or other irregularity requires the application to be
reviewed by the Board during a regularly scheduled Board meeting. Non-routine applications
may take up to 120 days to finalize.
• All verifications of licensure must be sent directly from each state board in which the
applicant is currently or has ever been licensed. Please make copies of the attached
“Verification of Licensure” request form as needed. Some states may charge a fee for
verifications. Contact each state board or jurisdiction prior to sending the request.
• Ensure the individual reference you listed on your application completes the questionnaire
form and return the form directly to the Board office as soon as possible.
• Notify the Board office immediately of any address change or termination of employment
from the sponsoring security company.
FINGERPRINT/BACKGROUND CHECK PROCESS
Upon request, the Board office will mail you a fingerprint card and self-addressed envelope.
Fingerprint cards are also available from most local law enforcement agencies and the Montana
Department of Justice (DOJ). Complete the information requested at the top of the fingerprint
card prior to having your prints taken and include the following information:
EMPLOYER AND ADDRESS: Board of Private Security, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513
REASON FINGERPRINTED: Licensure & 37-60-304, MCA
Most local law enforcement agencies will take your fingerprints for a nominal fee. After paying
this fee and having your fingerprints taken, send the completed fingerprint card along with a
check or money order for $29.25 made payable to the “Montana Department of Justice” and
mail it to Montana Criminal Records, 303 North Roberts, PO Box 201403, Helena MT 59620-
1403. Please check with your local post office and add accurate postage prior to mailing.
If DOJ rejects your first fingerprint card as “unreadable,” the Board office will notify you and
send a new fingerprint card for you to re submit your fingerprints. You are not required to
repay the processing fee to the Montana Department of Justice under these circumstances.
Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) from the fingerprints is only released to the Board of
Private Security. Your application will not be considered complete until the CHRI is received
from the DOJ.
Source of information came from Montana Board of Private Security website
MONTANA BOARD OF PRIVATE SECURITY
301 South Park Avenue, 4thFloor
PO Box 200513
Helena, Montana 59620-0513
Phone: (406) 841-2348 Fax: (406) 841-2309
Email: email@example.com Website: www.privatesecurity.mt.gov